Monday, January 14, 2008

Doubt opens the door...

This morning, after reading my online devotion which talked about "seeds of doubt," I realized that doubting God opens the door to sin. Eve, in the Garden of Eden, was fine until she allowed the serpent's words (the seed of doubt) to create a thought of doubt. As soon as she allowed herself to doubt God for even one minute, it opened the door to disobedience (sin).

This has been true in my life also. At some point, as a child and when I experienced things that didn't fit with my picture of what I thought God should or should not be doing to provide for me, the initial thoughts of doubt and distrust crept into my mind. From there it only grew until I thought nothing of disobeying God, even at a huge personal cost, because I no longer trusted what God said.

The only step to take is to say as Job did, "Yea though He slay me, yet will I trust Him." By taking the stand, I am going to trust and obey, no matter what everyone else is telling me and no matter what my outward visible circumstances look like, allows God to work tremendous miracles on my behalf and gives me His peace "which transcends all understanding" (Philippians 4:6-7).

No comments: