Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Called to walk in the (Holy) Spirit...

In Galatians 5:16, God through the apostle Paul, calls the Christian believer to walk in the (Holy) Spirit, not the flesh, "But I say, walk and live habitually in the (Holy) Spirit--responsive to and controlled and guided by the Spirit; then you will certainly not gratify the cravings and desires of the flesh--of human nature without God."

In verses 19 through 24, Paul goes on to describe the outward differences. 19 Now the doings (practices) of the flesh are clear--obvious; they are immorality, impurity, indecency; 20 Idolatry, sorcery, enmity, strife, jealousy, anger (ill temper), selfishness, divisions (dissensions), party spirit (factions, sects with peculiar opinions, heresies); 21 Envy, drunkenness, carousing, and the like. I warn you beforehand, just as I did previously, that those who do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God. 22 But the fruit of the (Holy) Spirit, [the work which His presence within accomplishes]--is love, joy (gladness), peace, patience (an even temper, forbearance), kindness, goodness (benevolence), faithfulness; 23 (Meekness, humility) gentleness, self-control (self-restraint, continence). Against such things there is no law [that can bring a charge]. 24 And those who belong to Christ Jesus, the Messiah, have crucified the flesh--the Godless human nature--with its passions and appetites and desires."

This morning, as I was reading in the book, "The Desire of Ages," I read a couple of paragraphs that talked about being a witness for Christ. A couple of sentences, in particular, caught my attention: "We should never give to the world the false impression that Christians are a gloomy, unhappy people. If our eyes are fixed on Jesus, we shall see a compassionate Redeemer, and shall catch light from His countenance. Where His Spirit reigns, there peace abides. And there will be joy also, for there is a calm, holy trust in God."

In another book of mine that deals specifically with learning to "walk in the Spirit," one of the first questions it asks in the growth and study guide is, "What might happen in your life if you were to follow the instructions in Galatians 5:16?" As I read the question, the first thought that came into my head was, "I would have to give up my right to be in a bad mood, to be ill-tempered when I feel like it!" Ouch! Talk about God opening my eyes!

I have known for a long time that whenever I am faced with a lot of things not going my way, a lot of stress from situations or people, or when my life feels out of balance, I have a tendency to "lose" my Christianity. I will get into a foul mood and become negative, rebellious, difficult, obstinate, and ill-tempered. My "walk in the (Holy) Spirit" lasts until the "rubber meets the road," and then it's all over. I begin my walk in the flesh (sinful, fallen human nature). I know that this is wrong and yet I haven't been able to remain in the Spirit. When talking to God about this, He showed me it's because I want to hang onto my "right to walk in the flesh" whenever I feel like it and when I do choose to walk in the flesh, the presence of the (Holy) Spirit must leave. A person can't serve two masters. Either she will serve the Lord through obedience and walking in the Spirit, or she will serve the enemy and walk in the flesh. By choosing to walk in the flesh, I am thereby choosing to not experience the fruit of the (Holy) Spirit (joy, peace, love). To continue to walk in the Spirit, I must give up my right to walk in the flesh. How scary that feels! The thought of never again being able to use my right to get into a bad mood, to take out my frustrations on someone or something else, to be obstinate, difficult, negative, and ill-tempered. It's like telling the alcoholic he/she can never have another drink, and yet, that is exactly what they must accept before they can experience recovery. In a similar way I must actually learn to surrender to God my negative, ill-tempered feelings and my right to express them, and allow Him to remove them rather than reverting to walking in the flesh. This is not going to be easy. In fact, the only way I'll even get to the point of being willing is with God's help. "I will [not merely walk, but] run the way of Your commandments, when You give me a heart that is willing" Psalm 119:32. "O Lord, please give me a willing heart!"


No comments: