Saturday, July 28, 2007

God's call...

This past week I've been reading the book of Jonah. Although I didn't really spend a lot of time in Jonah, there was something that kept speaking to my heart. Jonah 1:1-2 says, "1 Now the word of the Lord came to Jonah the son of Amittai, saying, 2 Arise, go to Nineveh, that great city, and proclaim against it; for their wickedness has come up before me. In verse 3, we read, "But Jonah rose up to flee to Tarshish from being in the presence of the Lord [as His prophet]..."

In the rest of Chapter 1 and through Chapter 2, it tells the story of Jonah asking the sailors to toss him into the sea, God creating a great fish that swallowed Jonah, and then three days later the Lord speaking to the fish and the fish vomiting out Jonah upon dry land.

The significant part for me came when again, in Jonah 3:1-2, I read, "1 And the word of the Lord came to Jonah the second time, saying, 2 Arise, go to Nineveh, that great city, and preach and cry out to it the preaching that I tell you."

This time, in verse 3, "Jonah arose and went to Nineveh, according to the word of the Lord...."

This story, although I've read it before, really spoke to me this time. I recognized God's call on my life. He called me 3-1/2 years ago, but I didn't even wait to find out what to, I ran from God's call out of fear and pain. In January of this year, I again heard God's call. This time I didn't run right away. I did answer the call and even went as far as to actually go out to Montana (where I felt called to). But from there I panicked, felt very confused about God's call, and came home. Thankfully, I didn't run nearly as far emotionally and spiritually as I did before and I didn't turn away from God, but I did run. This week, I have heard God's call again through the reading of the book of Jonah and a praise story given by a young guy today at church.

What God's call means in physical terms, I'm still not sure, but I will start praying about it again. I am committed to my place of work up through at least April or May of next year, I'm committed to attending my family reunion next year, and whatever the call involves, I know I want and need to plan my response much better. I need to take the time to let God work it out and not rush. But I also know that I must answer God's call and trust Him to show the way.


I am at risk for running from His call again, but I am stronger in Him than I was before. Each day that I spend with Him in His Word, the Bible, and in prayer with Him, I will continue to be strengthened to endure the tests that I will be confronted with in answering His call.

The story of Jonah reminded me that when God calls someone or sends someone as a "messenger" He doesn't change His mind or give up. He brings you back around to try again until you answer the call and/or go and do as He has requested. I'm grateful that God doesn't just give up on us; that He does bring us back around, gives us another chance.


1 comment:

Hackfest said...

You say you're at risk of running again. Certainly you shouldn't run now. If it takes all your life, you'll either answer His call or be running.