Monday, February 2, 2015

Seeking wisdom...

It has been a long time since I've written on this blog. I rarely write on any of my blogs now due to lack of time, but this morning, since we have a snow day from work, teaching, and school, I decided it was a good day to write a blog post.

This year our first quarter Sabbath School (similar to Sunday School) lessons are on Proverbs. The need for in-depth, serious wisdom for my life, my work, my everything has become so apparent to me that I find myself constantly asking God for wisdom.

Yesterday and today's lessons were taken from Proverbs 14, which contrasts the wise vs. the foolish.

Here's what it says about the fool:

  • the fool speaks proudly (Proverbs 14:3)
  • the fool mocks wisdom (Proverbs 14:6-9)
  • the fool is credulous (Proverbs 14:15)
  • the fool is impulsive (Proverbs 14: 16, 29)
  • the fool oppresses others (Proverbs 14:21, 31)
Here's what it says about the wise:
  • the wise speaks humbly (Proverbs 14:3)
  • the wise value learning and knowledge (Proverbs 14:6, 18)
  • the wise are cautious (Proverbs 14:15)
  • the wise are calm (Proverbs 14:29, 33)
  • the wise are compassionate and sensitive (Proverbs 14:21, 31)
These truths really spoke to me this morning. To be wise, I must speak humbly, value learning and knowledge, be cautious (taking time to respond, not react), remain calm (not easy for me), and be compassionate and sensitive. 

The first verse in Chapter 14 also speaks to me very personally as I mentioned in my blog post back on July 7, 2007 "Build or Tear Down." Since that time, I always try to view my decisions against this backdrop; am I building my house or tearing it down? 

I wish I could say that I'm always building my house and never tearing down, but that would not be completely honest. I make mistakes and sometimes I'm not cautious enough about the decisions I make. I want to build up my house, not tear down. I want to speak humbly, value learning and knowledge, be cautious (taking time to respond, not react), remain calm in the face of distressing circumstances, and be compassionate and sensitive. 

Thankfully, God has promised to give us wisdom if we ask for it and I'm definitely asking for it today and every day from now on. 

 

No comments: