Thursday, June 2, 2011

Feeling "Hemmed In"

Today, when thinking about my circumstances of no job, no income, no money in the bank (in fact, the account is minus as of today) and plenty of bills that are already past due, I realized that I feel "hemmed in." It's like no matter if I try to go forward, backwards, or sideways, there is no way out of the "box" of my circumstances; there doesn't seem to be anything I can do to make it change and nothing I do seems to change anything. 

I've only been in this "box" one other time that I can readily remember and it was for similar circumstances, except at that time I had a job, an income, but my income wasn't enough to cover my bills. I had just enough to cover food, gas, electric, and very little else. Eventually, the situation eased up, but it took quite a while before it did.

Now I'm in similar, if not worse straits financially and today I wanted to know more about what God may or may not be doing by "hemming me in." In Psalms 139:5, David talks about God "hemming him in," or at least that is what the NIV says. In the Amplified, it says, "You have beset me and shut me in behind and before, and have laid Your hand upon me. " When I read the whole chapter, the "hemming in" sounds more like protection and blessing than negative. But I continued to look up other verses. In Psalms 4:1 (Amplified), David says, "Answer me when I call, O God of my righteousness [uprightness, justice and right standing with You]! You have freed me when I was hemmed in and enlarged me when I was in distress; have mercy upon me and hear my prayer." This is obviously an example of being "hemmed in" by enemies and God has freed him from the circumstances.

The interesting thing when comparing the two different verses above is that in one, it sounds like God is doing the "hemming in" (Psalms 139:5) and in the other (Psalms 4:1), God is doing the freeing from the "being hemmed in." So, it appears that sometimes God hems us in and sometimes He frees us from being hemmed in.

While looking up Biblical information on the topic, I came across a couple of blog postings that talk about being hemmed in. One author, MTJ, at the blog site, My Thought-filled Journey: Hemmed In , talks about the Israelites at the Red Sea and how they were "hemmed in." According to MTJ, "They feared Pharaoh and his army. But God wanted to move them from the place of fear to the place of faith. To get them to the place of faith," (MTJ, 2010) i.e., God had to "hem them in" so that He could then "deliver Israel and demolish Pharaoh's army." (MTJ, 2010). They needed to see God as their Deliverer, their Savior, the One to turn to in faith and hope.

In the case of the Israelites, it appears that God brought them to a place where they were "hemmed in" so that He could show them His power and as noted in the paragraph above, move them from fear of Pharaoh to faith in God. I expect this is the type of "hemming in" I'm experiencing in my life. I have felt that unless God saves me, I'm finished, I'm done in financially. In fact, one of my greatest fears has been and is the lack of money. The lack of money to pay my bills and take care of my needs, and it may be that God is wanting to move me from my place of fear that comes from a "lack of money" to a place of faith, dependent upon Him, my true source. I desire to be delivered from my love/hate relationship with "mammon" and the only way God can deliver me is to require me to face the fear with Him at my side.

Another interesting point brought out by MTJ was that when he has been "hemmed in" he is not without hope. He will trust God to deliver him. He will "walk to the shoreline." He will do his part "and trust God to make a way." (MTJ, 2010).

So now, reflecting upon these verses and the story of the Israelites, it does give me some hope. I can better see why God would bring me to this point again and in worst circumstances than before. I have nowhere to turn, but to cry out to my God, "Please save me," and walk forward, trusting Him to open a pathway when the time is right, doing what I can like applying to DHS (Oh yeah, that was fun!), protesting the UIA's determination to deny unemployment benefits (Such joy!), and continuing to apply to jobs, knowing that eventually the right one, at the right time, will be there. Hopefully, growing in faith and recognizing that "mammon" or money is not my source, God is!

Reference: MTJ. (11/2010). Hemmed in. My Thought-filled Journey blog. Retrieved June 2, 2011, from: http://mythought-filledjourney.blogspot.com/2010/11/hemmed-in.html

5 comments:

MTJ said...

Hi Connie,

As I began reading this post, I immediately identified with this statement:
"...thinking about my circumstances of no job, no income, no money in the bank (in fact, the account is minus as of today) and plenty of bills that are already past due, I realized that I feel 'hemmed in.'"

I launched a small business last August and didn't get my first contract until the last week in January of this year. There were so many mornings and nights when I would get on my knees praying that the Lord would open the door of opportunity for me; extending me grace. I can't tell you how often thoughts of discouragement and abandonment would creep into my mind.

I had nothing but grace and faith to fuel me each day. I'm still literally in that "hemmed in place, but the Holy Spirit has added hope to grace and faith. The bible says, that hope that is seen is not really hope. Why would one hope for what they see?

I tell the Lord, "even if the door of opportunity doesn't open today, I won't faint Lord. I have no place to go, no one to turn to, there is none like You Lord."

Thank you for sharing this powerful affirmation of faith. I link with you in faith to our Lord.

Blessings and peace.

MTJ

Connie Halvorsen said...

MTJ, Thank you for your blog post and your comments on mine! Obviously, your previous and current situation have spoken and are speaking to me wholeheartedly. Learning to trust in God and not man, princes, or horses (Psalms 20:7) is the key to living a life of faith. As hard as it is, it is worth it if it strengthens my faith in God. I will keep you in my prayers and pray that God will bless you and keep you and cause His face to shine upon you! (Numbers 6:24-26).

Anthony said...

This is a very helpful description of being "hemmed in." Thanks for sharing!

Luke said...

Connie, I ran across your post when I googled the word "hemmed". I was reading this article-http://wordsofspirit.us/Prinzing/newltr/Ltr248.htm - and forgot that the verse the man who wrote the article was from the Amplified. He repeats it often in the body of the article and at one point I wanted to find out where he got the word as it is not hemmed in the AV. All things are of God so I thought you might like to read the article. It pertains to distress. Luke

Connie Halvorsen said...

Thanks for the link to the article, Luke. It sounds good and I plan to read it later tonight when I have some down time.

God bless,

Connie